Are you ready to buy your first boat? If you are, most experts will recommend you look into used boats. They are cheaper and don’t depreciate as fast. You can upgrade to a new model once you gain boating experience. The thing with used boats is that even when they are in mint condition, they often have hidden issues. That is why it is important to always involve experienced marine surveyors Naples FL trusts. The role of the surveyors will be to help with the inspection and compile a comprehensive report that helps you understand the type of investment you are about to make.
Bringing in experienced marine surveyors Naples FL is not the only thing you need. Learning a few things about boat inspections will keep you from being shortchanged by a dishonest surveyor. Here are some of the key areas that must be looked at in a pre-purchase boat survey.
A boat surveyor will start by inspecting the exterior of the boat to understand its condition, space, and layout. During this visual inspection, the surveyor will do the following:
- Check for signs of damage and major repairs that have been done
- Inspect the decks, transom, bilge as well as the fuel tank. The transom is the area where an outboard engine would be mounted.
- Make sure the stringers are connected properly to the hull
- If you are considering a sailing yacht, the rigging and sails must be checked
Engine and electrics
The next thing the surveyor will inspect is the engine and the electrics. The engine is the most important part of a boat. It is also very expensive to repair and replace. Making sure it is in good condition before buying a used boat is very important. The electrical systems must also be in good condition. During the inspection, the marine surveyor in Naples Florida will do the following:
- Check the condition of the oil and ensure there is no water leak
- Check for rust around the engine
- Inspect the belts, hoses, and all electrical connections. The surveyor will check such electrical connections as spark plugs to ensure they are not worn or cracked
- Check the propeller for cracks or major repairs
- Listen to the sound the engine makes
- Rewiring a boat is expensive. Your surveyor will inspect the electrics to ensure they are in good condition.
The interior of a boat shows you how well the boat was cared for. The surveyor will check for the following:
- Signs of mold and mildew
- Check the windshield, hatches, and doors
- Get an overall feel of the cabin
A lot goes into a boat inspection. The best thing you can do is work with experienced marine surveyors in Naples FL. Resist the urge to inspect the boat on your own.